EDGE Пред.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
   Список разделов - Doom и его порты - EDGEОтветить
АвторСообщение
Coraline
-= UAC Girl =-

Doom Rate: 2

Posts quality: +28
Ссылка на пост №81 Отправлено: 19.04.18 19:47:32
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself! I'm Coraline, one of the primary authors of the EDGE source port. I've loosely translated this thread using Google, and I understand some of you are having a few issues with getting the port set up. Firstly, I apologize that I'm typing in English - I know very little Russian, so I hope you guys are able to decipher my post properly! =)

I would like to take the time and listen to criticisms and/or issues you guys are having, so I can properly address your concerns and work on making them right. Instead of ignoring end-users like my predecessor did, I really try my best to improve the end-user experience for every individual who uses the source port.

I know it seems silly to take the time out of my life to work on EDGE, but you know the old saying - if there's supply then there's demand, and as long as people continue using and making mods for EDGE, I'll always be working on the engine from my end. We have used EDGE for so long now that it's second nature, and my primary purpose is to get it back up to speed. Aside from ZDoom, EDGE is the only other source port you can do serious modding to.

And simply put, EDGE is still the port that's been around the longest, so I have a certain amount of pride to be able to carry the torch =)

And, just to let you guys know if you don't already, I release devbuilds to DRDTeam rather than make full broken releases (lesson learned), so if you guys are interested you can look here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/

Also, I've been working on the EDGEWiki, which is a centralized HUB for scripting support and other tutorials: https://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki

If you guys aren't comfortable with using the Devbuilds, we have made another official release of 2.1.0 (Test3), which you can get here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE%20binaries/2.1/2.1.0/Test-3/

Caroline, the creator of the port and Hypertenna himself, a stupid girl, by no means. But she did not find it necessary to resort to the technology tested by decades ... cartoonishness. And this miscalculation should be attributed to her stupid actions in life.

Well, thanks for the kind compliment I suppose -- I haven't always made the best decisions in my life, but EDGE is always something I'll pride myself on. I feel the port has come a very long way since the 1.35 days. And not only that, but we have the support of the ZDoom development team, and while work has slowed recently (me and the other principle programmer have been in really bad health lately, plus I am a single parent to my 5 year old daughter), we continue to plug away at the technology. I've been a part of the development team for so long now (even before EDGE 2.0) that the code is second nature to me. There were a lot of mistakes made in the original development cycle, but we are slowly but surely trying to improve stability and enhance existing features. And Hypertension has hit a lot of snags, but I have a very dedicated team. We aren't doing it for the money, only doing it because we believe in the project. It'll be hitting the ten year anniversary of development in August, and I know that's a long time, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and my team refuses to release something we aren't 100% on board with.

Anyways, it's nice to meet you all, and if you have any questions or comments feel free to let me know! I'll always be available to help you regarding EDGE, so don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks,
-Coraline

[LeD]Jake Crusher
= UAC Marshal =
Next rank: UAC General after 684 pointsАдмин форумаАдмин сайта

Doom Rate: 1.59

Posts quality: +829
Ссылка на пост №82 Отправлено: 19.04.18 20:24:21
Coraline
On behalf of Russian Doom Community, I would like to welcome you here, Coraline! It's not every day that someone, who is working on developing Doom source ports (and not only them) from different Doom communities is joining us here. Hope you will have a good time with us here!

To be honest, I was a little disappointed when learned that Hypertension is no more connected with Blood, but decided to wait for the release anyway. However, I'd like to ask - originally Hypertension was supposed to be released on a wide range of platforms, IIRC (like Sega32X), and now it's main platform - Dreamcast. While I do have fond memories about Dreamcast myself, what happened that the development team decided to reconsider platforms?

Рейтинг сообщения: +5, отметил(и): MAZter[iddqd], klerk, RastaManGames, MasterMind, DOOMGABR
1 1 4
MAZter[iddqd]
-= WebMaster =-
Админ форумаАдмин сайта

Doom Rate: 1.44

Posts quality: +117
Ссылка на пост №83 Отправлено: 20.04.18 00:53:38
Coraline, nice to meet you here, in our community!

I'm very appreciated you for useful information about EDGE port right here. :rules:

Рейтинг сообщения: +5, отметил(и): klerk, Mostcus, RastaManGames, MasterMind, DOOMGABR
2 2 1
Coraline
-= UAC Girl =-

Ссылка на пост №84 Отправлено: 20.04.18 19:25:21
[LeD]Jake Crusher:
Coraline
On behalf of Russian Doom Community, I would like to welcome you here, Coraline! It's not every day that someone, who is working on developing Doom source ports (and not only them) from different Doom communities is joining us here. Hope you will have a good time with us here!

MAZter[iddqd]:
Coraline, nice to meet you here, in our community!

Thank you both for the warm welcome =) After reading this thread I was sort of expecting the worst! lol...glad you guys proved me wrong ;)

[LeD]Jake Crusher:
To be honest, I was a little disappointed when learned that Hypertension is no more connected with Blood, but decided to wait for the release anyway. However, I'd like to ask - originally Hypertension was supposed to be released on a wide range of platforms, IIRC (like Sega32X), and now it's main platform - Dreamcast. While I do have fond memories about Dreamcast myself, what happened that the development team decided to reconsider platforms?

There's a whole host of issues why things happened the way they did and why Hypertension is still in development today (August 2018 will be its tenth year as it was started in 2008, does it qualify for the Mordeth award? =)). The main reason was because Atari backed out of an agreement that was made between us that also extended from the Transfusion team's assets usage agreement (EDGE contained enough pieces of source code from Quake that it fell under their license), but there was a lot of bad blood (no pun intended) in the Blood community at the time. So, when GOAT Store LLC had us sign a contract for Hypertension's release, Atari all of a sudden became interested and went after our publisher. Instead of hiring lawyers to fight and becoming broke from crazy legal fees, we just decided we wanted to work on something new anyways. Originally, we were just doing asset replacement (sort of like FreeDoom), but it was boring all of us so we decided to completely scrap 95% of work done from 2008-2014 when we redesigned most of the entire game, which started in 2015. The game is still being developed, but much slower since EDGE/Slave are being programmed in parallel. Plus, most new features in EDGE, like the Camera-Man Scripting System (new scripting language) was developed especially for Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness (as well as DOOM 3 MD5 support and per-pixel lighting on 3D models).

The whole Atari/legal drama is also some of the reason we changed the name to Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness. So technically, Harmony of Darkness (the latest iteration of Hypertension) has only seen 3 years of development (2015-2018). ;-)

But to answer your original question, Hypertension was shut down in 2012 and so were our original plans for most platforms. The 32X version was very fun to work on, and we ended up releasing an early video of progress. If I still had the assets or the ROM, I would just release it as a freebie (I spent another year and a half on the 32X version compared to what you see in the video, but the assets/ROM are on another hard drive in my storage somewhere). So, the video below is about two weeks of progress:

For the interested, it seems the official Blood Wiki still has our Hypertension page up -- it's a good read for historical purposes ;)

Рейтинг сообщения: +5, отметил(и): MAZter[iddqd], klerk, Mud, MasterMind, Arbars
klerk
- Warrant Officer -
Next rank: = Warrant Officer = after 62 points

Doom Rate: 1.13

Posts quality: +770
Ссылка на пост №85 Отправлено: 21.04.18 20:37:46
Coraline:
After reading this thread I was sort of expecting the worst! lol...glad you guys proved me wrong

We are glad to welcome you, but terrible expectations was not that wrong. Too few gamers prefer EDGE as default engine, because port still looks like "not completed", have some problems with performance etc...

Some non-doom projects can save EDGE as game-engine, it's not popular in the community yet.

EDGE can be a really cool thing, but something is missing now. I'm sorry. Wish you good luck in your work!

Рейтинг сообщения: +1, отметил(и): MAZter[iddqd]
1 8
sobran
- 2nd Lieutenant -
Next rank: = 2nd Lieutenant = after 79 points

Doom Rate: 1.29

Posts quality: +345
Ссылка на пост №86 Отправлено: 22.04.18 13:09:18
This is all nice and dandy but can someone tell me about advantages what EDGE have over Zdoom? I am not a developer neither a mapper,just simply interested what EDGE can offer the community. If there is any finished EDGE based project i would like to check it out.

Рейтинг сообщения: +1, отметил(и): klerk
4 1
Coraline
-= UAC Girl =-

Ссылка на пост №87 Отправлено: 27.04.18 19:14:01
klerk:
We are glad to welcome you, but terrible expectations was not that wrong. Too few gamers prefer EDGE as default engine, because port still looks like "not completed", have some problems with performance etc...

Some non-doom projects can save EDGE as game-engine, it's not popular in the community yet.

EDGE can be a really cool thing, but something is missing now. I'm sorry. Wish you good luck in your work!

No worries -- could you please give me a list of your complaints or what you desire that we work on so we can improve its standing? I would really appreciate it. Just need to know what 'terrible expectations' you are referring to. =)

sobran:
This is all nice and dandy but can someone tell me about advantages what EDGE have over Zdoom? I am not a developer neither a mapper,just simply interested what EDGE can offer the community. If there is any finished EDGE based project i would like to check it out.

Well, there are a ton -- mostly that EDGE is human-readable (DDF, RTS, COAL, Camera-Man), and the script files don't need to be compiled at all (except QuakeC, which is compiled at runtime). EDGE also has an advantage of working on vastly lower hardware requirements than GZDoom, and I feel the renderer is generally less-intensive than the other projects.

We have a full list of EDGE projects here (they also spring up at ZDoom.org and Doomworld.com/vb occasionally as well):
http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewforum.php?f=26

Also, like I said, keep in mind that EDGE has several advantages purely from its timeline:

1) EDGE is one of the oldest ports that's kept the syntax for the very first scripting languages for DOOM engine games (DOSDoom)
2) EDGE was capable of advanced modding _years_ before ZDoom gained that ability with DECORATE and ACS
3) EDGE can pull off the same tricks as ZDoom, albeit with a bit of "trickery", and I feel DDF/RTS is easier to learn in general.
4) EDGE 2.1.0-Test3+ (devbuilds) re-introduced backwards compatibility again (QDoom still plays perfectly)

Overall though, I would like to hear some criticisms (in English if possible) so I can promptly work on fixing the worst things about the port -- I'm always open to criticism, and it's much better
hearing it from people who have actually tried EDGE before. Keep in mind that we've advanced so far ahead from EDGE 1.35 in the way of GLSL shaders, UDMF support, virtual machine enhancements,
and other things we have massively improved to both speed up the engine, fix old long-standing bugs, and bring it up to date with modern community standards.

Thanks guys! <3

Рейтинг сообщения: +5, отметил(и): klerk, theleo_ua, Артём, DOOMGABR, camper
Arbars
= Master Corporal =
Next rank: - Sergeant - after 46 points

Doom Rate: 3.54

Posts quality: +67
Ссылка на пост №88 Отправлено: 27.04.18 20:40:48
One small question: Linux packaging system support?

Рейтинг сообщения: +2, отметил(и): klerk, camper
1 2
Хрюк Злюкем
= Major =
Next rank: Lieutenant Colonel after 186 points

Doom Rate: 1.38

Posts quality: +1149
Ссылка на пост №89 Отправлено: 14.11.21 21:21:30
Edge 1.35 оживили:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/125747-new-source-port-introducing-edge-classic/

Рейтинг сообщения: +1, отметил(и): klerk
2 1 1
Страница 5 из 5Перейти наверх Пред.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
   Список разделов - Doom и его порты - EDGE